Do you want to take your gaming experience to the next level? If so, you need to invest in a gaming keyboard. A gaming keyboard is designed specifically for gamers and offers features that can improve your gameplay. In this gaming keyboard guide, we will discuss what you need to know about gaming keyboards. We will cover topics such as the different types, features sizes, and more! So, if you are ready to level up your gaming, keep reading.
We´re reader-supported. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
What is a gaming keyboard and what are its benefits over a regular keyboard?
A gaming keyboard is a specialized keyboard that is designed specifically for gamers. It offers features that can improve your gameplay, such as key switches, backlighting, macros, and more. Gaming keyboards also usually have high-quality key switches that provide a better gaming experience.
Benefits of using a gaming keyboard include:
- More keys for additional macros and shortcuts to be assigned
- Macro keys that can automate complex gaming actions
- High-quality key switches for a better gaming experience
- Backlighting to help you see the keys in low-light conditions
- Customizable LED to create different lighting effects to match your gaming setup or mood
- N-key rollover and anti-ghosting (NKRO). These features allow you to press multiple keys at the same time without ghosting or losing keystrokes.
- Multi-media controls. gaming keyboards often have dedicated buttons for controlling audio and video playback.
Types of gaming keyboards – membrane, mechanical, or hybrid
There are three main types of gaming keyboards: membrane, mechanical, and hybrid.
Mechanical keyboards use physical switches to register key presses.
Benefits of a mechanical gaming keyboard include:
- Better gaming experience due to the high-quality key switches
- Greater durability since there are no rubber dome components that can wear out over time
Drawbacks of a mechanical gaming keyboard include:
- More expensive than membrane gaming keyboards
- Physical switches can produce a loud noise when gaming
Membrane gaming keyboards are the most affordable option and use rubber domes to register key presses.
Benefits of using a membrane gaming keyboard include:
- More affordable than mechanical gaming keyboards
- Quieter key presses since there are no physical switches
Drawbacks of using a membrane gaming keyboard include:
- Not as durable as mechanical gaming keyboards
- Gaming experience may not be as good since the key switches are not as high quality
Hybrid gaming keyboards are a mix of both membrane and mechanical keyboards.
Benefits of using a hybrid gaming keyboard include:
- A mix of the best features from both membrane and mechanical gaming keyboards
- More affordable than pure mechanical gaming keyboards
Drawbacks of using a hybrid gaming keyboard include:
- Gaming experience may not be as good as a pure mechanical gaming keyboard since the key switches are not as high quality
- Not as durable as a pure mechanical gaming keyboard since there are still rubber dome components
Features to look for when purchasing a gaming keyboard
Some features to look for when purchasing a gaming keyboard include:
Look for gaming keyboards with high-quality mechanical key switches such as Cherry MX. These switches will provide a better gaming experience. Find out more about key switches here.
If you often game in low-light conditions, look for a gaming keyboard with backlighting. This will help you see the keys more easily.
Macro keys can automate complex gaming actions. If you want to use macros, look for a gaming keyboard that offers this feature.
N-key rollover allows you to press multiple keys at the same time and have all of them register. This can be helpful for intense gaming or for fast typing.
A gaming keyboard with a USB passthrough allows you to connect other devices, such as a mouse or gaming headset, directly to the keyboard. This can be helpful if your computer´s USB ports are in a difficult-to-reach location.
gaming keyboards will also have multimedia keys that will allow you to control things like volume and playback without having to leave your game.
Choose a gaming keyboard size that fits your needs. If you have a lot of desk space, a full-sized gaming keyboard may be the best option. If you want a more portable gaming keyboard, consider a tenkeyless or compact gaming keyboard.
Don’t forget to factor in your budget when choosing a gaming keyboard. Gaming keyboards can range in price from $50 to $200.
How to properly adjust your gaming keyboard to fit your needs
The gaming keyboard you select should have the ability to be easily customized to fit your gaming style. You can do this by adjusting the backlighting, key repeat rate, and more. By customizing your gaming keyboard, you’ll be able to create a gaming setup that’s comfortable and efficient for you.
When it comes to backlighting, you’ll want to choose a gaming keyboard that offers multiple backlighting options. This way, you can adjust the backlighting to suit your gaming environment. For example, if you’re gaming in a dark room, you’ll want to select a gaming keyboard with bright backlighting. On the other hand, if you’re gaming in a well-lit room, you may want to choose a gaming keyboard with dim backlighting.
In addition to backlighting, you’ll also want to consider the key repeat rate. The key repeat rate is the speed at which the keys on your gaming keyboard will repeat when you hold them down. If you’re someone who likes to spam keys during gameplay, you’ll want to choose a gaming keyboard with a high key repeat rate. However, if you’re someone who likes to take their time when gaming, you may want to choose a gaming keyboard with a low-key repeat rate.
Also, you’ll want to make sure your gaming keyboard is comfortable to use. After all, if you’re not comfortable using your gaming keyboard, you’re not going to have a good time gaming. To ensure your gaming keyboard is comfortable, look for one with ergonomic features that also fits your mouse grip style. For example, some gaming keyboards come with a wrist rest, which can help reduce strain on your wrists. Having a wrist rest is highly recommended, you can remove it if you don´t need it. Other gaming keyboards come with contoured keys, which can help reduce strain on your fingers.
Finally, you’ll also want to consider the size of the gaming keyboard. Some gaming keyboards are full-sized, while others are compact. If you have a small gaming setup, you may want to choose a compact gaming keyboard. However, if you have a large gaming setup, you may want to choose a full-sized gaming keyboard.
Different Gaming Keyboard Sizes
When it comes to gaming keyboard sizes, there are three main options: full-sized keyboard (104 keys), tenkeyless or TKL (87 keys), and compact such as the 60% keyboard (61 keys).
Full-sized gaming keyboards
Full-sized keyboards are the largest option and they offer a numeric keypad on the right side of the keyboard.
Benefits of a full-sized keyboard:
- More gaming keys
- Numeric keypad
- Easier to type on
Tenkeyless gaming keyboards
TKL keyboards are smaller than full-sized gaming keyboards and they don’t have a numeric keypad.
Benefits of a tenkeyless keyboard:
- More portable
- Less expensive
- Takes up less desk space
Compact gaming keyboards
Compact keyboards are the smallest option and they don’t have a numeric keypad or function keys.
Benefits of a compact keyboard:
- Extremely portable
- Takes up minimal desk space
Tips for taking care of your gaming keyboard
Just like any other piece of gaming equipment, your gaming keyboard needs to be properly cared for if you want it to last. Here are a few tips to help you keep your gaming keyboard in tip-top shape:
- Don’t eat or drink while gaming. This will help prevent crumbs and spills from damaging your keyboard.
- Clean your keyboard regularly with a soft, dry cloth. This will remove any dirt or dust that could build up and cause problems.
- If you spill something on your keyboard, act quickly! Turn the keyboard upside down and use a can of compressed air to remove the liquid. Then, wipe the keyboard down with a clean, dry cloth.
By following these simple tips, you can help ensure that your gaming keyboard will last for many gaming sessions to come!
Conclusion of our little gaming keyboard guide
Overall, gaming keyboards offer many benefits that can improve your gaming experience. However, they can also be quite expensive. If you are looking for a gaming keyboard, be sure to consider your budget and needs.
If you’re looking for a gaming keyboard that will improve your gaming experience, we recommend checking out our top picks for the best gaming keyboards. See you next time, Happy Fragging! 🙂
Widgetstream is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com.